Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Emo Rant, Mood Swings: Enter With Caution

Well there are two things on my mind today. For one, I am waiting, like a maniac, at the door for my Canon 20d to arrive. I keep peering out of my front door, looking through the curtains like a crazed old woman who keeps checking to make sure that the neighbor kids aren't trampling her begonias. Every time that I hear a delivery truck (or even a large suv) I rush to the window to see what's up. Mind you, when Craig was the one waiting for the g5 to arrive, I was totally making fun of him. I think I suggested that he permanently glue his face to the window because that is what the neighbors saw everytime they happened to glance our way. So I continue to be edgy and neurotically get things done around the house.

The second thing (this is where the warning comes into play) is this. A few months ago, we recieved a wedding invitation for someone that Craig only vaguely knew. "Uhh, I think that is my Uncle Kevin's step-daughter," was his enthusiastic reply.

Now you have to understand something about Craig's family. For one, the family is a "blended family". I am not saying that my family is the "Model for All Families Wishing to Attain Perfect Functionality in Today's Society" but frankly, not one person that I can think of fits into the "blended" category. This is not a bad thing, it just makes things a bit, well, confusing at times.

The second thing about Craig's family is that they invite literally everyone and their mother to weddings. To get gifts. There. I said it. I know this first hand because the same thing happened at our wedding. (No, Craig. We are not inviting your dad's colleagues to the wedding. No, I don't care that they bought Ryan and Brenda a big screen tv.) I really wanted to pretty much elope. I mean for real, if I could do it over, I would take the money, run away, get married on the beach in Italy. Whoever wants and cares enough to schlepp all the way to Italy will be the ones who are coming to the wedding.

That said, Craig frankly had possibly not ever met this person. I asked if this was a wedding that we *should* attend and he said, "No." I then asked if he thought that is was something that might be "fun" because it was in northern Minnesota (albeit about a 10 hour drive) and would sorta be an excuse for a little weekend away to which he replied again, "No."

Now we get to the good part. (Visions of dooce.com and her getting fired b/c of her emo rants about her job on her blog are now skipping through my head. Can you be excommunicated from your husband's family?) Anyway, on the "official family site of Craig's family", there was a huge post about how only a couple people from the clan showed up to said wedding of mystery family member and how terrible that was and we all should have made it a priority to be there. Bad, bad adult children who make poor choices!!

OOOOOKKKKKAAAAAYYYY. Let's set some things straight RIIIIIGGGHHHT NOOOOWWWW. For one, I really don't want to show up to a wedding where they are simply sending a invite to get a gift. Now I have done research on the subject. The article that I read said that IF YOU DO NOT KNOW THE PERSON OR FEEL WEIRD ABOUT THE INVITE you are not required to be there or to even send a gift. Just mark "no" and return the response card.

And number two, IT IS MY PERROGATIVE TO DECIDE IF I AM TOO BUSY TO ATTEND A WEDDING. I am not "carving out" time to go to a wedding 10 hours away for someone that I have never seen and will never see again.

My last and most thrilling argument, IF YOU ARE ACCUSING SOMEONE ELSE OF NEVER SHOWING UP TO THINGS, IT MAY BE A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE PREVIOUSLY ATTENDED YOUR ONLY GRANDCHILDREN/NEICE/NEPHEW'S FIRST BIRTHDAY BASHES, BIRTHS AND OTHER IMPORTANT EVENTS.

These are my last words as I am being taken away to bad in-law prison. May you learn from my example.

No comments: